Set Up Query

Wol

Set Up Query

Post by Wol » Sat May 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi All,

I tried to post this in the Electronics section but it wouldn't let me for some reason, so posting here in the hope someone can help or advise.

After months of deliberation and coming with me to the last meet, my eldest son decided which truck he would like. It was duly purchased and we have been building it since. The truck is complete and everything installed and all seemed to be going well until this afternoon when we found a small issue with it.

He has a Radiolink T8FB controller which came as a bundle with the ESC and Servo's etc. The set-up instructions are fairly basic and not particularly detailed. We managed to get everything set up and working so that all forward/reverse/steering functions were working correctly. It says it has a built in failsafe which I also tested and again this all seemed to work fine. However, on doing some final checks in preparation for this months meet, again everything appeared fine until our youngest son lent over and switched the controller off while the truck was running. After a brief pause, the truck went into reverse and continued in reverse until we switched it off. We tested everything again and all again appeared to be working fine until we replicated switching off the controller first and the same thing happened.

Now, I would never ever normally switch a truck off in that way but I'm now at a bit of a loss as everything appears to be set up and connected as it should be and everything is working in normal operation as I'd expect. I have also checked my own truck and it does not have this quirk so I don't know if it is a case that something has actually been set up incorrectly and I'm missing something. Does anyone have any ideas?

He was looking forward to running it tomorrow but is now a little down that it has this glitch at the 11th hour.

Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated.

astecme

Re: Set Up Query

Post by astecme » Sat May 18, 2019 5:34 pm

“FAIL SAFE”:
F/S data,set responses in case of loss of signal or low Rx voltage(in percentage).
Each channel can be set independently.
• The NOR (normal) setting holds the servo in its last commanded position.
• The F/S (Fail Safe) function moves each servo to a predetermined position.
• NOTE: the setting of the throttle's F/S also applies to the low battery voltage.
• The F/S is used in certain competitions to spin the aircraft to the ground prior to flying away
and doing potential damage elsewhere. Conversely, may also be used to go to neutral on all
servos, hopefully keeping the plane flying as long as possible.
0 means throttle at the lowest position, 50 at the center position.

This is under the software section in the manual so I guess you have to program the failsafe to go to neutral rather than full reverse (down) on the throttle.
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop

Wol

Post by Wol » Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks Allan, that actually makes sense now.

When I tested the failsafe as I thought it should work (i.e. full throttle forward then switch the controller off) it did what I expected and stopped dead. It's only when it was stationary and our youngest son switched it off that we found the problem.

The instructions we got were fairly basic and didn't have anything about software, only a brief mention of the app to check things. I have found a more comprehensive instruction manual online for it and also looked at the app. Interestingly, for some reason, every other FS setting bar one is set to 50. The remaining one is set to 0 so I'll go in and amend it and hopefully that'll fix it.

Thanks again for your help.

astecme

Post by astecme » Sun May 19, 2019 6:43 am

The tx is set up for aircraft use with full throw on the throttle. If you were using servonaut cruise then the setting would be correct.
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop