New excavator project

Construction plant, etc
astecme

New excavator project

Post by astecme »

So all locked up with nowt to do, well not quite true, nothing new to do! So I had a browse and bought myself an excavator kit.

Im not saying what it is but its a great looking piece of kit.

So here are the first two pics.
excavator 1.jpg
excavator 2.jpg
Already had one small proble though. one bearing would not fit a roller. The problem was the machining on the roller, the recess was slightly too small, Luckily I had a 100 end mill, so chucked the roller in the lathe, loaded the mill to the Drill chuck and carefully machined it out. Now its a perfect fit.

NEXT!
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop

astecme

Re: New excavator project

Post by astecme »

So a couple more pics today.

First to say that the frames come pre-primed. Then I have seen a few colour ways for this one but I have gone with black (so no clues there ;)
excavator 3.jpg
I have fitted all the rollers and tension set today and then joined the track beds with the bridge piece and fitted the slew ring and ger (which came pre-built.
excavator 4.jpg
Another problem today, well two but same problem. The 16 rollers on the bottom all have recesses for two bearings and are cross drilled 4mm to take the shaft through. They are NOT load bearing or bearing surfaces. Two were offset at one end which is a problem. Solution is to drill out to 4.5mm to get clearance unfortunately the existing holes pick the drill up and wobbly it alarmingly. Second try is a 5mm endmill in the chuck and mill through. I still had to turn on round and go through from the other side.

Niether is a big problem if you have the gear to deal with it. But not great!

Brad

Post by Brad »

Looks like a it will be a solid excavator once its finished, disappointing that a few parts supplied need modifying but as you say if you have the tools to fix, no problem.
Regards 'Brad'

Scania R470, R620, Scania Fleet Dropside,
Mercedes 8x4, 4x4 and 4x2 in build.
That’s enough I think :lol:

astecme

Post by astecme »

Thanks yes, thecounterweight weighs a ton!

Mostly been painting but also a couple of update pics.
excavator 5.jpg
You can see here that the tracks are on. That was a battle. I think you are supposed to wind the tension spring in then wrap the track and insert the pin. The track is a bit unwieldy and i Couldnt hold and position and insert the pin, if I could have I think releasing the tension would have been difficult. Anyway I made the track up, compressed the tensioner and rolled the track on. Thats not easy either!

Now I am wondering if the tension nut will stay where its put.
excavator 6.jpg
I have built the cab!

Now I am waiting on the main colour paint, which seems to be stuck with a courrier (story of my life this week!) Hey ho. Onwards and upwards

Stay safe you lot

Brad

Post by Brad »

Great progress and starting to take shape, what colour is it going to be?
Regards 'Brad'

Scania R470, R620, Scania Fleet Dropside,
Mercedes 8x4, 4x4 and 4x2 in build.
That’s enough I think :lol:

astecme

Post by astecme »

It was going to be highway yellow but that's too bright. Have to see what comes next.

astecme

Post by astecme »

At last the paint arrived. This came from Motornuts looks good for car spray but not for models IMHO I wont use them again. Also took 14 days to get the paint, they say they are busy, dont answer phones auto response to emails!

I will use onestopeaerosols though. loved them and the spray head is adjustable.

Anyway got the paint, around a week of spraying and then start putting it together. A couple of things. The valve block comes populted for 6 outputs but only 3 are populated. The manual shows straight out connections but you wont be able to fit pipes on two of the extras with those . There are right angled ones in the kit so I have swapped for them. but will leave the extras capped. They are not needed at the moment althought all the pipework exists!

Next issue is that he pump wont fit. I think they put a bigger motor on it as part of the "upgrade" and the mount and motor jam against the uprights. The mount is screwed in with 4 screws so they were undone and the mount moved back one set.

Next you fit the radiator and the pic shows the pipe runs -ITS WRONG.

One pipe runs under the motor as its the only way I can get it to run, It wont go through the access hole any other way (that may be caused by fitting a larger motor - ho hum). I have temporarily put nuts under the mount to raise it approx 3mm. I'll sort something better in due course. Now I am wondering If I have the connections the right way round.

Finally a pic
excavator 7.jpg

astecme

Post by astecme »

So we are making progress, its now all painted and being asembled.

A couple of problems (arent there always).

I am pretty suere that this is an upgraded kit, not sure how but the motor looks larger than in the original lesu pics and I have servos for all 6 hydraulic ports. That does mean that there is insufficient 4mm hydraulic pipe to complete.

The construction manual shows a cut out in the second level of the electronics bay, there is not oine in mine, which means that the straight out hydraulic connectors will not fit so back to right angled ones. Bit of a warning! If you rotate the takeoff point, even a little bit, it will cause the retaining screw to loosen. Thats probably the reason people complain of hydraulic leaks. Simple fix is to put a small amount of thred lock on the thred and then place in final position and tighten up.

Be warned, the esc settings are not necessarily what you want. For example, the pump esc is set to run fwds only (tick) b ut from half stick. I will run mine using the pot on my tx and so want it to run full stick. No probs just need to set it up. Example 2, the track esc's neutral point as they arrive is slightly offset so they appear not to work, a slight offset upwards and they arm, double tap reverse. These are unmarked and come with no instructions. I believe them to be hobbywing ezrun 18's as they look the same. The mid point and throw settings works. They are set for fwds/brake/reverse. I have yet to fix that, they need to go into crawler mode. I cant see the leds so they will have to come out to do that (again).

Rotate works well but that a brushed set up, Chinese instruction manual (I mean in chinese), It comes fwd/brake/reverse, double tap reverse. There is a switch on the front, middle pos I think, and another one for battery settings. Need to check all the cutoff settings as well!

Now waiting on 4mm pipe.

More pics next time ;)