Lesu Forklift

Construction plant, etc
astecme

Lesu Forklift

Post by astecme »

Well this is a bit different. Since the demise of the Robbe forklift there has been a bit of a gap in the capable forklift market. Will this fill the gap?

Sorry to say that I seem to have lost a couple of pics so we start a bit further on than I meant to.

First comment is that the kit arrives with bearings fitted to the stack with c clips. The instructions clearly tell you to not paint the bearings so you have to take them off. So why fit in the first place. (I could say the same about the excavator).
Forklift 1.jpg
So this is the second stage afetr building the stack components. The rams were very stiff and I had to pull them out before they would move easily. All painted but I still need to find the spacers for the chain sprockets at the top.
Forklift 2.jpg
These show the rear and yes I left the hydraulics grey. There are two sets - one for the raise and lower and one for the tilt.
Forklift 3.jpg
Forks attached and I have left those natural for the moment. I will have a think about what to do with them but it is easy to remove them.
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop

astecme

Re: Lesu Forklift

Post by astecme »

The next stage is buildding the body, well the upper body, There are 3 main parts upper body, cab floor and the safety cradle. The safety cradle has a beacon, two side light and two spots/worklights. Lesu supply an illuminated beacon and a wig wag unit. I decided against that and went for a similar domed rotary beconthe wires are run in heatshrink and down the sides of the cradle - not the best IMO.

the front lights are painful as they are suppied with white smt leds on wires. The trouble with that is that colours always "burn through" lenses so I have changed the two for the orange sidelights to orange. That means I have to run 3 wires and fit different resistors as the lesu ones are no longer suitable. The beacon can plug in the receiver.

Next you screw the counterweight to the rear of the cradle.
Forklift 5.jpg
The next step is simply to place the cradle on the body top, insert the plastic deck and do up 4 screws. Then the seat, gear lever, disply and steering wheel. Lesu supply stickers but they are innefective unles you paint the locations white!
Forklift 6.jpg
Forklift 4.jpg
Finishing touches are the exhaust and filler cap.

astecme

Post by astecme »

The next step is to build the gearbox. Or not as its already done. The motor, gerbox, diff and casing are all prebuilt for you.

You need to add the drive hubs, wheel rims and wheel covers. It feels a bit Tamiya ish here ( How many parts can we break this down to?) and then 20 bolts to do up.
Forklift 7.jpg
Forklift 8.jpg
Oh I forgot the tyres ;)
Forklift 9.jpg

astecme

Post by astecme »

Now we start on the base again. Front drive axle and gearbox mounted, plate at the rear for whatever (Bttery?) and in this pic the steering servo.
Forklift 10.jpg
Next we build the hydraulics. due to the pipework they land up as a single unit but you build them separately and bolt them in. First is the oump assy.
Next is the valve block and last the tank. Then the pipework is attached and it becomes one unit. The pics show an odd servo. Thats becaus I blew on on test. Note that the servos supplied only work up to 6 volts and then they release the magic smoke. Use a BEC on test!
Forklift 11.jpg
Forklift 12.jpg
Forklift 13.jpg
I ordered a new servo, and l;ater removed the whole assy and fitted it. Then did it again to get the centreing correct as I forgot to redo that DOH!

astecme

Post by astecme »

Next is attaching the flex pipes. very straightforward except for getting the retainers on, which was a struggle.

Next you install a deck plate over the hydraulics and the esc's to the RHS.

I loathe the lesu mini bl controller - it is in a word CxxP. Installed it did work but only half stick, I tried changing that going through the teach process and completely failed. I replaced it with a Hobbywing 16bl30 Its bigger than the lesu unit but it works, It programs and I have a program box for it ;)
Forklift 21.jpg
The hobbywing wont quite fit and the Forklift sides are angled and that make the fit worse. So I chopped the deck plate. several layers of foam doublesided to glue stugff in place and the resuly is above.

Receiver on the rear plate, In front of that the sound system, didnt I mention that? Oh well. Of course no instructions two RX leads and one for the speaker. the first servo lead is the throttle and goes through and out to the brushed esc for gearbox motor etc, The second is a control channel. Up for start your engine, Up to stop your engine and down for horn.

Fill her up with oil using the supplied pipette and we are away. At first hydraulics were lumpy as the air is removed, More oil and repeated use and it now smoothas a babies.
Forklift 20.jpg

Brad

Post by Brad »

Looks good Allan - will be great to see it at the next meeting whenever that will be?
Regards 'Brad'

Scania R470, R620, Scania Fleet Dropside,
Mercedes 8x4, 4x4 and 4x2 in build.
That’s enough I think :lol:

the asylum wanderer

Post by the asylum wanderer »

I have one of these, and i love it . The problem for me was that the battery pack (1300 lipo ) was as big as i could get in there . Then the brain cell kicked in and i tried 18650 Li-ion , 3.7 volt 3400 mah as a 2 pack and they will fit , result :) The batteries i used are panasonic and have up to a 12 amp discharge rating , so now i get around 30mins run time , instead of 10 mins