Truck and Drag

For build and partial builds for help please use the help forum
astecme

Re: Truck and Drag

Post by astecme » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 am

Bit of an oops.

Lovely grab arms and did wonder why the holes were a tad small. No it's perfect, just 80% of the size I wanted.

Idiot boy! Should have calibrated the machine instead of trusting the settings for my machine.

It will be ok!
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop

astecme

Post by astecme » Fri May 24, 2019 2:18 pm

Well a bit of a long wait but I have been busy with other things but finally here are the new arms for the brick grab
truck51.jpg
These are still a little raw and need some clean up but hey.
You can see that there are 4 toothed wheels, these come from Hobby's. These are 10mm ID and 11 OD 20 tooth gears. There are loads to choose from and since i was not sure how I would do this I bought a selection. To explain; The gears lock the two arms together so that they will only move in concert, I could have used 4 gears in a chain but eventually plumped on two!

The frames are cut on my engraving machine (eventually, as it is not as straightforward as I thought!). Once cut they had to be washed off to remove the cutting oil. I used isopropyl alchohol, followed by water and washing up liquid. They were then dried. Cleaned with wet or dry tinned assebled bit by bit and soldered to gether. The gears had to be drilled 3mm, cleaned and tinned on one side, the area to accept them clened etc the married the frame to the arms with a bolt. The first 2 on the first arm don't matter that much but the second two need to be held so that the arms are level (checked on the bench and bolted) then reheated to melt the solder and finalise the position. Its soft solder so I can always redo!

So that was a bit of a marathon and I feel good that its done, then I turn to the head block and realise I am about half way. Must get my skates on.

Meanwhile I have been busy. I have some reflective corners for the drop sides and fitted some. Load straps from Lanie Newport to hold the blocks in place. lost an aerial wire so need to get another. Several updates to the SFR firmware which will be good on this to fit and so it goes on.

Did I mention that I fixed the hitch problems that I had at christmas?

BAck to work!

astecme

Post by astecme » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:56 am

So went to the national gathering but sorry no pics. Others I think do have some. Anyway, managed to drive my grey scania without a trailer for about 20 mins and the block truck for 30 mins.

I have come home and made some mods.
1. Replaced the Scale Parts rear bar bumper with a DMW one - the DMW ones are more expensive but a really good bit of kit.
2. Carved the rear rails about a bit so I can get better turning on the trailer. It went round normal bends but tight bends and reversing were a serious pain. Fingers crossed.

Next outing is Cornwall truck show Stithians show ground Cornwall(where else?).