Creating your own sounds

astecme

Creating your own sounds

Post by astecme »

You can use the supplied software to down load film clips from youtube and strip out the sound. Please not that all the content is copyright so you cannot do this and then distribute it all. BUT you can use the tracks to create your own sounds.

I don't use the supplied downloader as I already have youtubedownloader and it works well for me. I download and then save as an MP3 file which I then open in Audacity ( on the disk) chop the sound around and then save it. When chopping you need to chop at a zero point in the waveform otherwise you will get clicks on playback. You can check by looping in audacity.

When saving the file you must:

set the project rate ( bottom left) to 44100 hz

export the file as a wav ( file export and choose 16 bit wav)

The 16 bit wav file can be loaded direct to your project and the project will save it when it is saved.

Now! I used Phil Bergs Scania recording to try and do a better engine sound BUT as he is driving around it is very very difficult to find a bit of the recording that you like and stays at a consistent speed. You need the consistent speed or when played back it can sound like a series of vrooms. So I use this currently on my reverse but not for forwards motion.

Phil's recording did have a few gear changes in it (unsurprisingly) so I used those. His first gear change took forever and seems too long for the model so I used it and discarded. He does have several changes where the turbo overruns and "chuffs" I used this for up gear changes ( With Phils knowledge). So thos of you that think its wrong on my truck think again - its from the real thing!

Be prepeared to spend some time if you play with this. Hopefully we can share results.
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop

Triple axle

Re: Creating your own sounds

Post by Triple axle »

Bit of an art this one, got a nice idle sound, but not yet mastered the dynamic or moving ones. What is the ideal length of sound, at the moment I am reducing lengths of playback and the sounds seem to be improving when loaded back into the SFR1.
New to trucking

astecme

Re: Creating your own sounds

Post by astecme »

It's a case of finding a length that has the same speed across it and then finding points that loop without a huge clash.
AsTec Models for all your truck needs
https://astecmodels.co.uk/shop